Alpenwelt Karwendel - Mittenwald-Krün-Wallgau
Alpine peaks, lush green meadows, crystal clear waters, Alpine art, culture and customs, friendly people and delicious local dishes – this is what makes the Alpenwelt Karwendel with its communities of Mittenwald, Krün and Wallgau so special.
Upper Bavaria’s top hiking region offers three levels of walking that together forms a network of some 350 km of trails of all kinds as well as an extensive network of mountain bike and cycle trails. Come to the Alpenwelt Karwendel for the ultimate in Alpine fun.
- Karwendel cable car, Germany’s second highest cable car. "Bergwelt Karwendel“ information centre housed in the "Riesenfernrohr“ that extends out over the edge of the mountain affording breathtaking views 1,300 m down into the valley
- "Lüftlmalereien“ frescos in Mittenwald, Krün and Wallgau (a "living picture book“ according to Goethe)
- "Almabtriebe“ (annual rounding up of animals – with sheep, cows and horses that forms part of the farming festivals in the Alpenwelt Karwendel. Experience local farming and village culture full of tradition and customs, theatre and culinary delights
- Three cross-border gorges including the Leutascher Geisterklamm
- Geology nature trail explaining the wealth and diversity of the geology of the Alpenwelt Karwendel